When we decided to move to Southern Utah, we figured we’d have a few friends and family come and visit once in awhile. We don’t have snow and our winter temps are fairly mild, so we’re a great warm weather getaway. I’m not quite sure we knew just how many guests would come to stay with us. 😉 Our first month here, we had every weekend booked with company! Thankfully, right now, we have a dedicated guest room upstairs! When we first moved in, and for the next few months, it looked a little something like this:
1. Make it cozy: Extra pillows and blankets always make a room feel more cozy and “home-y.” In this case, I added 2 extra sleeping pillows, and three throw pillows to fill the bed up a little more.
2. Think of your guests! We included a little “catch-all” tray and notepad on the desk – I always need a place to empty my pockets on a trip! We also will plug in a power strip on the desk so that guests have plenty of plugs for all their phones and electronics.
3. Make it personal. We like to change up the wooden magnet board with personalized sayings for each of our guests to make them feel welcome!
4. Make room. We made sure to empty a few shelves for clothes, included a hamper, extra hangers and towels, too. We also added a few water bottles and a tray full of snacks.
5. Add some art. I didn’t want this room to feel too personalized with photos of our faces staring at them at night, so I went for some simple artwork. The cactus prints are from my shop and the silhouette was painted by my sister Erin.
6. Keep it clean. Before every guest comes, I always wash all the blankets, sheets, and towels. Nothing like crawling into a fresh, clean bed at night! About a month ago, I started using Purex® Crystals with my laundry. I was intrigued when I saw them – they claim to keep things smelling fresh for 12 weeks and provide a fresh scent at a great price. I decided to put it to the test – and I’m amazed! I use them on all our sheets, towels, pillows and blankets to keep that long lasting smell! Seriously, I’m obsessed! (They’re on rollback at Walmart right now!) My current favorites are Purex® Aromatherapy Tahitian Breeze, Purex® Fresh Spring Waters, and Purex® Fresh Mountain Breeze.